Sunday, August 31, 2014

Week 69: A320 Type Rating Week 8

I was totally overwhelmed during my first lesson in the simulator. I didn't know what to do, I didn't know what to expect, I was somewhat lost, not helped by my instructor expecting a high standard from us right from the first lesson.

I was the first cadet out of three to be the Pilot Flying(PF). With the plane being positioned at the holding point of RWY02C of WSSS, I had to enter the runway and line up at the threshold. Even such a short distance of taxi was a challenge to me as I wasn't used to the reaction speed of the nose wheel steering as well as the speed control. Rolling on the runway, with the assistance from the Pilot Monitoring(PM), I lifted off, retracted my gears and went into a blank haha..

It was only then I realised I still had two stages of flaps extended with my spoilers armed. What speed should I maintain, what height should I climb to, what angle of pitch should I be at. 1001 things for me to think about and I admit that I was overloaded. Even reaching transition altitude and the switching of the QNH had me confused on what to do.

Upon reaching the cruise altitude, I was given vectors to fly the plane. My control was horrible initially. I couldn't control my airspeed well and I over climbed by 200ft or so. Fortunately after a few climbs and descends, I finally got the hang of it and it became much easier.

My PF flight ended with an approach to land manually. With approach speeds at excess of 140kts, it was one heck of a different game when I was flying the C172 at 70kts approach speed. I had trouble following the glideslope which caused me to be either too high or too low. The momentum of the huge plane is the culprit of my lack of control.

Tried twice and had to redo for the third time which was forcefully landed as I had passed way to front of the touch down point. Not exactly the kind of performance I expected of myself, but I guess I'll have to learn and adapt faster.

Next, I was the PM and even so, its job is not any easier. I had to handle radio calls, which isn't my strong point all this while. And with me not being familiar with all the calls, it was another screw up after screw up. Sigh..

After the long 4hr simulator training, we had a briefing with the instructor. Obviously, a lot still need to be brushed up, but he gave me a remark of "Progressing Normal". I was totally famished after not eating for close to 6hrs. Got to remind myself to bring some snacks to munch on in my next lesson or I may find myself battling with gastric pain soon.

Next session will be two weeks later, and I'm determined to make it a better performance.

First session

Went to CAAS to collect my PPL. Next license booklet shall be in green colour



No comments:

Post a Comment