Sunday, October 26, 2014

Week 74: A320 Type Rating Week 13

It has been a hectic week, with two sim sessions sandwiching one very exciting observation flight arranged by the airline. I shall write about the two sim trainings before I go on to the astonishing experience in the real A320 cockpit.

First session was on Monday, with the lesson plan exactly the same as the previous lesson. It was good practise as we were able to polish our manual flying so as to fly more accurately on the SID, which isn't an easy feat. After the weird descend profile from the previous session, I calculated the full descending profile and realised we flew wrongly the previous round.

Armed with a new set of distances with their respective heights, I was determined to get it right this time round. However before we were able to get to the descending phase, we were surprised with a different way of programming the FMGC to get to a holding point. Instead of using the DIR (direct to) button, we had to amend the flight plan and change a point into it so as to key in the holding point we were given, into the flight plan. The main difference was that there won't be a track drawn in the ND to guide us to the holding point. As a result, we had to make use of the VOR needle to home into the station. That requires some skill to do some on-the-go calculation to get to the point.

After the hold came the descend phase using the CANPA principle. I'm glad to say my calculation worked and the whole profile was much neater and stable. With my height sorted out, I'm still bugged by my poor control in flying to the runway's centreline. Getting really frustrated, I elaborated my flying and consulted my helpful sim partner. He gave me some pointers which made me realise that my turning reaction may be too stiff. Such epiphany got be excited to try it out in the next sim session. My instructor also wrote in my grade sheet that more practice is needed for approach.


Second session on Friday, the day after my observation flight which was almost 10hrs long. Needless to say, I was quite tired but had done all necessary preparation before the lesson. Lesson plan was unchanged like the previous two sessions, With an SID, holding and VOR approach. After the observation flight, I can better handle the radios and SOPs in my training. The lesson was well flown with no major issues to correct. My approach was also accurately flown both vertically and laterally after my realisation on Monday. Finally I've got it sorted out and what I need now will be more hours in the sim to perfect it.

Simulator powered by Windows haha!!


Here comes the interesting part: observation flight on a real A320. Ever since I embarked on this journey 24months ago, I have been dreaming on the day I can step into the A320 cockpit and experience flight as a flight crew, controlling the multi-million dollar machine through great heights, bringing my passengers to their destination safely and comfortably. Well the day isn't here yet, but it was pretty close to that.

I reported for flight two hours before scheduled departure, with the first hour spent in the crew room and the second hour in the plane/tarmac. In the crew room, a few documents will have to be printed, namely the flight plan, voyage report, weather, NOTAMs etc. Airport charts are to be prepared and iPads to be fully set up for the flight. Fuel requirements must be double checked, NOTAMs  and weather examined, find out on aircraft's serviceability along with the MEL if applicable. Lots of things to do within an hour I'd say, much like the days in Ballarat when I had to report early for my navigation flights.

Next, we head to the aircraft, which we have to find out its location. With the airport this huge, getting to the wrong gate will mean a very long walk. Upon reaching the cockpit, the FO will carry out the pre-flight walkaround, and I must say it's hell lot more extensive than the one I did on the C172 haha. Landing gears, engines, wings, flaps, stabilizers, pitot tubes, static ports, nose and finally setting the fuel required on the fuel cap.

Heading back into the cockpit sweating, all details on the flight plan had to be input into the FMGC with a few data awaiting the load sheet's arrival. When it was here, all passenger, cargo, baggage load will have to be taken into account, plus fuel weight. After some Picasso drawing, the trim and speeds can finally be keyed into the FMGC and we're all set to go.

Keeping my eyes and ears fully opened, I observed the captain and FO's every action and I'm satisfied to say that it's very close to what the school has been teaching me, and that's assuring. Push back, engine start, a crazy fast taxi speed and before I knew it, we took off from RWY20C. I was overwhelmed with the amount of radio works involved. Switching frequencies once every few minutes and you have to be fully alert to catch the controllers calling out your sign.

Our destination was Chiangmai, and we flew through numerous different control zones in Malaysia and Thailand. The radios were crazy, making me super amazed at the efficiency of the pilot monitoring. I don't know how well I can deal with the radios when my time comes.

Our flight was blessed with great weather, and having made some shortcuts along the way, we reached our destination earlier than scheduled even when our departure was a bit later than planned. Chiangmai airport was small with one active runway. It was a simple ILS approach with AP disengaged at about 500ft AGL. I can learn a lot with a real life landing as compared to the one I do in the simulator. However at my current stage of training with no automation involved, it's still unfamiliar grounds for me.

After a quick unloading and loading, we were back on the runway for departure back to Singapore. Everything happens very quickly with no time to waste. The return flight was quieter in the cockpit as most of the chats were done during the outbound flight. I asked a few questions to clear my doubts and then time flew by, ironically. By sunset, I was on approach to changi airport RWY20C and landed safely back home. Shut down the aircraft and that concluded my virgin cockpit experience.

It was enriching, fun and a great eye opener. I look forward to my second observation flight next week to Ho Chi Minh City.

Flight plan and prep work at crew room

Took off from WSSS RWY20C, overflying Batam for a left turn to South China Sea

At destination and mid air

Home bound on approach



No comments:

Post a Comment