Sunday, May 18, 2014

Week 59: PPL Flight School Week 28

Monday
Another day in the sims, I'm pretty much an expert in the G1000 by now. In a way, the sims have helped me a lot in knowing the system fairly well. I was totally dictating on what to do without much instruction from my instructor. As usual, I planned a normal flight and flew it using the GPS, doing a sector entry and a holding on my destition, ending my session with a few ILS approach landing. After the end of the session, the schedule for the next day was out, and I'm finally planned for my first instrument flight.

CAVOK day, a pity I was flying the sims instead
Tuesday
Flight was scheduled at 1200hrs, report two hours before to get my planning done. The difference with IF nav flying as compared to VFR nav is the need to be in constant contact with an ATC. Thus, the radio frequencies must be jotted down in my plan, along with the ILS/VOR frequencies.

The radio calls were overwhelming, with so much to take care of even before I left base. I managed to make some by reading off a printed guide, but I found myself having trouble to comprehend the quick messages conveyed by the ATC. Being my first IF flight, my instructor was forgiving and made most of the radio calls for me.

There were the usual checklist of CLEAR, Top of Climb, Top of Descend checks, and now there is a new list to carry out.


Weather - Tuned into the ATIS/AWIS to get weather information of the aerodrome
QNH - Setting the correct QNH for approach
Aids -ILS localiser set and tuned, morse code verified
DG/RMI - Heading and tracking all correct
Chart Brief - A full brief of the aerodrome chart
Audio - Morse code of ILS/VOR verified
Pre-landing - Checks aircraft is in landing configuration
Slow Down - Get the aircraft to a comfortable slower speed

There are a lot of things to take note of, on top of keeping your ears alert for the ATC's radar vectors to guide me into the ILS localiser. Eventually, I managed to fly the ILS approach to a good standard in turbulent conditions, made a published missed approach and flew back to base.

On base, did a sector entry and a few holdings to get myself accustomed to flying holdings with wind compensation. Lastly, I did a RNAV approach to base and landed by joining the circuit. It was a good effort for my first IF flight as commented by my instructor, but I knew my trouble was handling the radio calls from the ATC.

Wednesday
I was scheduled for flight at 1800hrs, my second night flight, which was also my second IF flight. Having done my first IF flight the day before with the same instructor, he totally threw me into the deep waters and expected me do handle everything on my own.

I was overwhelmed, made worse by the fact that it was a night flight. I was having trouble doing things properly in the dark and focused a lot on the radio calls which made my flying not up to standard. I couldn't handle the radio calls properly, I missed out my QWADCAPS check, I totally forgo the chart brief, my ILS approach was too high that I should have gone around but I continued descending.

Upon returning to base, I did a sector entry and was poor at my wind compensation for holding pattern flying. The flight ended with a RNAV straight on approach and I landed safely in the dark. It was a really poor flight to my standards. My instructor commented that I was so engrossed on Communicate, I totally neglected Aviate and Navigate. I was tasked to do more radio call practice on my own to better prepare for my next flight.

Before nightfall for my second night flight

Thursday
My third IF flight, scheduled at 1430hrs, this time round with a different instructor whom I've flown with only once. Having done my preparation work for my radio calls, I went for it. Regretfully, I radio calls were still not up to standard and I got lectured for my poor calls. He was very particular with how I worded the calls and was very unhappy with the way I conveyed my messages.

After the first few radio calls, he was fed up and took over all radio calls and left me with just the flying to handle. That moment I felt like a lost man. After all the homework I've done, I'm still not good enough. Luckily my ILS approach was fine and my holding was alright too. I thought he was in no doubt going to fail my flight.

Returned to base via RNAV approach and joined a low level circuit, and landed safely. During the post-flight brief, he printed a list of radio call procedures during departure from base. Thank god he didn't fail my flight and only asked me to polish up on my radio calls. I'm determined to iron out my radio call issue and not screw up again in my next flight.

Sunday
My last ever night flight, scheduled at 1715hrs. Initial plan was flying into Melbourne city for an ILS approach, but due to heavy traffic in the area, the plan was cancelled and I went ahead to the same aerodrome for an ILS appraoch as I've done in my previous three IF flight.

To prevent myself from conveying substandard radio calls again, I suggested my saying the radio call out loud for my instructor to verify before speaking to the ATC. This time round, I nailed it. My departure calls were good, everything went well.

CLEAR checks, QWADCAPS, chart brief and ILS approach were all to standard. Upon return to base, I did a RNAV approach and did five rounds of circuit to complete my hours. As expected, my night landings weren't very nice, the judging of height for the flare was my achilles heel. After my final landing, my instructor said "yea, I believe landing the A320 will be easier than this.". Haha, I certainly hope so!

It was a great flight which boosted my confidence, helped by me flying with a very nice instructor. The end of the flight also meant that I won't be flying the C172 at night anymore, which was kinda sad. I headed for home satisfied with my performance.

My final night flight. I'll miss it.

Pussy lying between my lap and watching TV with me
A great week no doubt, with one day of sim and four flights. I don't think I've ever flown four flights in a week since I've been here. A total of 7.6hrs of flight time was clocked, which is a very good return for one week. This is probably the best week I've had by far. 11.7hrs of flight time and 9.5hrs of sim time left. I'm getting closer.


No comments:

Post a Comment