Saturday, April 20, 2013

Week 25: ATPL Ground School Week 25

I'm in quite a dire state considering how lack of confidence I am in some papers after the exams. Let's break this down by days.

Day 1: Navigation Theory & Flight Planning

The first paper was 2hours long, which is supposedly long enough to be completed on time if you do not dilly dally on the theory questions. Well the theory part was ok, but not a walk in the park. I hope I do not commit grave careless mistakes here. Then came the plotting, which was horrendous. Never have I had such a tough plotting paper. So many steps were involved that I got all mixed up and probably lost it. Threw away my basics and screwed it all up. My answers were all weird and not close to the options available, ended up I have to take gambles, which isn't exactly very assuring. I think I will fail this paper.

Had a simple lunch and then it was back to the room for the second paper lasting 1hour 45minutes. This is one paper which you HAVE to rush like crap. And again, I had trouble in some parts of the paper, slowing down my speed tremendously. Finding the waypoints was a bitch when the maps were two-sided and I almost tore it into pieces. The last 3 questions were 4 marks each, how despicable is that huh!! I lost marks in two of them as I can't find the info I want on the damn maps and time was running out. Searching for a needle in the haystack. Wad da fug. Pardon my language. So ya, 8 marks gone just like that. I only have 17 marks left to lose. May the gods bless me.

Day 2: Radio Aids, HPL & Meteorology Theory

As if Day 1 wasn't bad enough, the first paper of Day 2 was a shock. The questions all looked so new and unseen. Radios is one of my stronger subject yet I was totally stumped. I looked at the paper in disbelief, shaking my head as I proceed through the 30 questions in the paper. It's a lost cause. I will definitely fail this paper.

I felt like a broken man, taking a 15min break before sitting for the HPL paper, which wasn't easy either. Thank god I ran through some new question banks the day before after listening to the advice given by the seniors. 25 questions in total, 6 mistakes maximum, I should be able to pull through this one.

Lunch break, feeling quite down with how the whole exam had progressed so far. And the last paper for the day was my most dreaded and weakest subject. I had to refocus and readjust my mental state. Looking at the cover page of the paper on my desk was so terrifying; I had to fight the monsters underneath in those pages. Page 1 was alright, and I was so relieved, but there were 35 questions in total. Every flip of the page was covered in fear. Soon, I completed all questions. Wasn't as tough as anticipated, and if I'm lucky, this paper will pass, fingers and toes crossed.

Day 3: Instruments, Air Law & Meteorology Practical

After what I went through in Radio Aids, I have almost zero confidence in Instruments which is probably my weakest subject. 30 questions in all, made some costly mistakes on questions which were worth 4marks. I don't know how much luck I'm left with, but it felt much better than the Radio paper. I pray that I pass this paper.

Short 15minutes break and Air Law came. HAHA!! Absolutely dead, like most of everyone else in the class. It's either you know the rules or you don't, it was more of the latter for me, and this should be a confirmed failure. 40 questions in all, 10 mistakes isn't quite enough for me.

The final paper after lunch, one which needs to be rushed like Flight Planning paper. It was relatively easier than the practice papers we usually do in class, but there are ambiguities here and there especially with the mean temperatures and wind component. Sucky thing about this subject. So if I'm lucky, I should pass this subject.


It was all over yesterday, but that fulfilling feeling wasn't there. Out of the 8 papers, I will fail at least 3 of them if I'm lucky. How depressing. Sighhhhh. It is very draining and it will hit your confidence very hard if a partial pass can't be achieved. I am facing that prospect currently. Am I prepared for the worst? I am not quite sure if I can take the blow.

My dear helpers during the papers

Cool it down after all the papers

A little BBQ with the class to mark the end of it all

Oh, this isn't the end. There is still Performance A paper 2 weeks later, which I heard is a very tough subject and have seen many falter on it again and again without success. This sucks, totally.


No comments:

Post a Comment