Sunday, January 26, 2014

Week 43: PPL Flight School Week 12

Tuesday
My first flight in almost a week, was feeling a little lucky so I requested for solo check from my instructor if he deemed the conditions are favourable. Using RWY18, the wind was at 180M 14kts. That was very strong headwind but I assume it's good since there was almost nil crosswind.

After pondering a while on the wind and my lack of flying in the past 7 days, he declined a solo check for me and we went ahead with the lesson planned, which was Forced Landings in area. According to my instructor, PFL is the next hardest thing to learn after circuit flying, and I cannot agree more.

We went out to the training area, a place where I didn't go for almost 3 weeks. The wind was really strong and the conditions quite turbulent on low altitudes. Instructor ran through the checklists and tasks I had to go through during PFL. The things to do are as follow:

Pick a field to land, taking note of wind direction on ground, MUST land into wind. Achieve best glide speed of 68kts.

1. CHECKLIST
F - Fuel to both
M - Mixture to rich
S - Switch magnetos to both

2. CHECKLIST
F - Fuel pump on, cycle tanks
M - Mixture cycling
O - Ts & Ps good
S - Switch magnetos L/R/Both
T - Throttle cycling

3. Mayday Radio Call
4. Activate ELT and set transponder to code 7700
5. Passenger brief

6. CHECKLIST
B - Brakes off
U - Undercarriage down
S - Switch magnetos off
H - Hatches unlatched, harnesses on

7. Focus on landing

Yep, these are the things you have to do when you're doing an emergency landing. Lots of things to take note of while doing the flying, but it isn't very urgent as the speed is kind of low at 68kts and I was at 4500ft AMSL when an engine failure was simulated, which was about 3000ft AGL.

The tough part was choosing an appropriate field to land and finding out the wind direction on the ground. I get cattle, ponds, trees, roads, small fields that are not long enough etc etc. I have to make my decision fast and as my instructor put it, "you can't fuck around and not pick a field fast enough". That is very true, being a pilot I have to be decisive and not be clueless.

My checks were slow and not well versed, so I definitely have to brush up on that. I had a go at two PFLs before we head back to base. I was allowed to join circuit on my control. It wasn't easy when I had to keep my eyes peeled to look out for traffic as well as listening to the radio calls on which planes are at which leg of the circuit. Thankfully I managed it well but my midfield crosswind joining wasn't as good as I want it to be.

Then come the base and finals, which were really hard to do it to standard as the crosswind on base and headwind on finals were really really strong, almost close to 20kts. My first landing wasn't good, I ballooned when I tried to flare and my instructor had to come in and add some controls to stabilise the aircraft. 
We had another go with a touch-&-go, but the second landing was no better, any small back pressure I applied on the yoke caused me to balloon quite badly. I guess I had overestimated my ability and didn't respect the headwind I was subjected to. It was really good experience for me as I learned that different landing technique is needed in different conditions. Experience is something that can't be rushed, I have to pick them up bit by bit and improve myself along the way.

A good lesson overall, a reality check on my flying skills and I need to be better at my PFL checklists.

Wednesday
It was a super super long day from 0830-1830hrs of mass briefs. We went through ADF/NDB, VOR and flight planning. After being so rusty on our knowledge about them 7 months after our ATPL exams, it took quite a while to get us back to the swing. Even the use of the CRP5 needed some revision. All of us were brain dead as the day ended. Lots of work will be involved when we start to go for navigation flights which require us to do flight planning.

Thursday 1st-solo check Part 3
The day has come, the third time having my first-solo check. Flight was late at 1830hrs, good conditions to fly circuits as the winds were relatively calm and the circuit wasn't so congested. As usual, I went onto my assigned aircraft for my pre-flight checks. Everything was well, except for a little chip on the propeller and a flat tyre. Haha, not a good start eh? Had a change of aircraft and off I went for my check.

I wasn't at my best initially, with my altitude failing to maintain closely to 1000ft AGL, made worse by the thermals I was facing. Even with my power pulled back to 1700rpm while turning base, I was still climbing to almost 1200ft AGL. It wasn't beautiful flying at all. At times, I even had to go into idle on base leg to lose enough height for a good final approach.

Seeing such a performance from me, my instructor was very nice and assured me to relax and not think so much about the check while reminding how well I flew in my previous solo check. Thankfully, my landings were safe enough for him to feel comfortable. I managed to improve my flying as we flew more circuits. There was even a huge moth in the cockpit that scared both of us when it suddenly flew past our faces out of nowhere LOL!! Eventually my instructor managed to get it out of the cockpit so that I can focus on the flying. We even had a laugh about it. Good stuff, it lightens the mood.

After roughly six rounds of circuit, he signaled me to do a full stop. We taxi back to the run-up bay and he hopped off the plane after asking me to be confident in myself and enjoy it. He closed the door and for the first time, I'm alone in the cockpit with the propeller spinning. It wasn't scary, but it can be stressful when you realise whatever happens from that moment on, you only have yourself to depend on. There can be no fooling around and I better keep my eyes fully opened to look out for traffic.

I taxi to the runway after a short wait at the stop-line. Gave the rolling call, full throttle and lifted off the ground much earlier due to the absence of my instructor's weight as well as some burnt fuel's weight. From this point onwards, I had to be 100% on alert about my surroundings. Climbing performance was better and I reached 500ft AGL earlier than usual. Preparing to turn for crosswind leg, I rocked my wings to look out for traffic. Soon, I had to turn for downwind leg, adjusting my position, altitude and carry out my pre-landing checks.

The sun was setting and the moment was gorgeous. I was fully enjoying myself, for a while at least. Then came the toughest part of the circuit. Turning for base, I got hit by thermals again and didn't lose enough height. Pulling all power back with 20 degrees of flaps extended, I started descending towards final leg. I was so focused I actually forgot to make my radio call. 

With sufficient height lost, I turned into final leg with a good approach profile. Made my radio call which was earlier forgotten, I extended flaps to full and prepared myself for the most stressful part of circuit flying. I had to constantly monitor my airspeed and keep to my aim point on the runway. The closer it got to the ground, the faster my heart pumped. Thankfully the touch down went well and I let out a huge sigh of relief. 

I completed my first solo successfully. A great confidence boost on my own flying abilities but I know this is only the beginning. There are a few more solo flights during the whole course of training, and each solo check will get even tougher to pass. I have to continue working hard to improve my flying especially on my landing. Experience is something that can't be rushed, but I wish I can learn as much as possible from my instructors during my short period of stay here.

Descending turn into finals

The final approach is always the most stressful leg of circuit flying


Sunday

My next flight after my first-solo was my second-solo. I don't really like the conditions that day as the winds were not constant and kept changing directions. To keep me safe, the instructor delayed my check so as to wait for the wind to settle and die down a little. So we departed 30 minutes later than scheduled and went for it.

By then, the wind was in such a direction which I had to use a runway I've never used before. I voiced my concern to my instructor and he was very understanding. To assist me in adapting to the "new" runway, he flew the first round of circuit to let me have a better idea of how it's gonna look like at the different legs of the circuit. I paid full attention to all vantage points and to his flying.

The controls were handed back to me the next time we took off during a touch&go and it was my turn to fly the circuit. My first round wasn't very good as my base turn seemed a little early which ended up finals being higher than usual. This "new" runway also looks narrower and it got me worried if I'm able to make it to centre line safely. To make things worse, the threshold area of the runway has a few buildings near it, causing the winds blowing over it to form rotors. I was experiencing turbulence nearing touchdown and had to adjust quite greatly to land properly. Good thing that my landing was safe enough.

Subsequent rounds of circuits went better with me having a better idea of how it should look but the final approaches were constantly turbulent. After about 0.8hrs of check, my instructor deemed me good enough to go solo. I was given a chance to do three rounds of circuit this time.

To be honest, I was a little scared of the turbulent final approaches. With no instructor by my side, I will have to do a go-around if my landing is way too bad to be salvaged. Nevertheless, I gathered the courage and went ahead. The first landing wasn't too scary, the touchdown was not beautiful but it was safe and gentle. Second landing went fine after I got too slow and too low. I manage to recognise the error and put in lots of power to not lose too much height. The last landing was ok and before I know it, I was taxiing back to the apron after clocking 0.5hrs of solo time.

The feeling was good in a way that I was still able to land safely even in turbulent conditions. Had it been 2-3 weeks ago, I don't think I'd be able to handle it and will simply have a hard impact onto the runway. Instructor was happy with the standard I produce and it was a good experience to fly more than one round of circuit on my own.


Pre-flight

Lunch 260114


What a week I've had. Clearing my first solo and going for my second. I finally achieved the first milestone of flight training here, lifting a huge weight off my shoulders. I can now progress ahead to build on that confidence of solo flying.


No comments:

Post a Comment