Sunday, January 12, 2014

Week 41: PPL Flight School Week 10

Monday
We had to take a total of four papers in order to be able to go for our solo flights. Much studying was done the day before to recap on all the knowledge we absorbed during ATPL ground school back in Singapore. Each paper lasts for one hour with three of them consisting of 20 questions, and passing mark is 14. The last paper consists of 30 questions with a passing mark of 24.

Not easy I would say if one is not careful. Nevertheless, everyone passed all papers and we're all clear to go for our first solo depending on individual's progression.

Wednesday, 1st-solo check Part 1
The day is here, I was planned for my first solo at 1300hrs. After not flying for 6 days, I knew I will not be able to make it with my less than perfect approach and landing. Therefore, I was pretty chill about this whole thing and didn't sweat too much about it the night before.

The day started with crappy wind conditions, changing its direction almost every half hour. When I was finally ready to head out, there was a change in runway again and this time I had to do a left-hand circuit. I have only done ONE left-hand circuit before hand and when I first took off, I got disoriented immediately. Worse still, before taking off, I missed out one step of my run-up checks: set flaps to 10 degrees. When my instructor pointed that out, I almost felt like killing myself. It's like driving off from stationary on second gear rather than the first.

I guess the nerves got into me, right after the first round, my instructor said "ok this will no longer be a solo check, let's just have a normal lesson". Yeah, that's quite a blow to my confidence. I was so poor I wasn't given a second chance. However he was right. My landing looked dangerous and totally unacceptable. If I was a passenger looking at such an approach, I'd be pissing in my pants.

Speeds were either too high or too low, flare executed too high, my approach was so steep it looked like I was doing a kamikaze onto the runway. This was definitely my poorest performance till date, totally unsatisfied with my own flying. Needless to say, it was a failed sortie, my very first failure. Instructor told me not to worry about it, as the key thing is to take something back from a lesson, learn from it and do it better the next time.

To be honest, it is very frustrating when you can't get things right even when you keep trying hard. Well maybe too hard. Sigh....

Went earlier to check and revise on others' landings after not having flown for 6 days

Just not my day

Thursday
Flight planned for late noon at 1545hrs. Winds were good for the day with close to a total headwind direction. I didn't fret much the night before after that bad performance I displayed, and went to sleep early after feeling totally exhausted from my first flight in six days.

Before I got the engine started, instructor had a little chat with me, reminding me of the mistakes I committed the day before. With that in mind, I got the propeller spinning, it was actually my first ever engine start without any help from the instructor. That's a good way to start my flight? Haha.

Had a little delay at the stop-line due to heavy traffic but once I got lifted off the ground at 55kts, everything went perfectly well. I was more calm and collected, with my speeds, altitude, banking, radio calls and positioning all to standards. Once I hit the base-leg of my first circuit, my instructor actually said I was flying very well today. With that, I replied saying that the winds were very good and flying is very easy in such conditions unlike yesterday when the winds were blowing and pushing me everywhere. He said "yea you do get those days".

Quite a confidence boost after hearing his comments. Even my finals and approach were very good but sadly my flare was still rubbish, but he said I'm getting there. I felt like a different man for the day after the flight, it was as if it wasn't me who flew that crap flight the day before. Had my landing been to standards, I think the instructor would have even let me gone on my first solo.

Good day good skies

Still the annoying landing

Sunday
I'm back into the skies after a two days' break. Flight was at late noon with temperatures close to 30'C. Hot day it was but also a very windy one with speeds at about 15-18kts. Since I'm not allowed to even try solo circuits in such conditions, the instructor decided to let me have a taste of crosswind landing.

With strong crosswinds hitting me while I was flying the circuit, it gave me a whole new experience of aircraft control in terms of heading and tracking. I had to do unusual throttle adjust to accommodate the crosswind during different legs of the circuit. Therefore there isn't a fixed rule flying in such conditions. I was allowed to adjust my throttle and heading freely as long as I keep the altitude and track.

Then came the landing. It wasn't as hard as I predicted but I had to manhandle the aircraft more to get it to where I want it to be. I've been flying in pretty relaxed mode ever since my failed first-solo check. So to ask me to return to the hard-grip style of flying, it can get quite confusing. I guess I'll have to find a balance and react accordingly. Crosswind landing can be dangerous if not handled properly.

Lesson ended pretty early as there's not much need to practise in such conditions at my current stage. The next lesson will be the following day. It's gonna be a good day with good winds. Maybe? =)

CAVOK with 30'C

Choppers in the airfield



Oh yes, finally headed to the city to exchange the car during the two-day break. Classic 1994 318i E36.

318i
I love being in a car workshop

Grabbed some much needed comfort food before returning home from city

Dinner 120114. Last dinner of the week, end it with a good one
 

1 comment:

  1. Hey there! Your blog is one really interesting read. You must really love aviation to stick your head out and spend so much money on your own training. Just enjoy yourself! Don't think too much about the landing flare. You'll get it in good time.

    ReplyDelete