Sunday, March 29, 2015

Week 92: A320 Type Rating Week 31

After the confidence booster session I had in the full motion sim last week, I was raring to have another go at it this week. This time it will be heck lot more challenging with poorer weather conditions.

ATIS: 15kts crosswind, night, 5000m, heavy rain, wet runway with good braking action

Just like last week, we had to do visual circuits from take-off with full stop, and a circle to land from a Non-precision approach. Visual circuits were flown at two different altitudes; twice for each level, mainly 1500ft and 1000ft AGL.

1500ft circuit was without much issue as the thrust reduction and acceleration altitudes are at 800ft and 1200ft respectively just like last week. The 1000ft circuit is a little different with both of them at 800ft AGL, so the reaction gotta be real quick to anticipate thrust and flying attitude change before hitting 1000ft AGL to fly level.

Since the weather wasn't really that great plus it was at night, I had to use a lot of my ND to maintain awareness. The base turn was the most challenging aspect as getting visual with the papi and runway lights really required a lot of visual power. Sometimes, I'm able to see it but my PM can't and vice-versa. The trouble with spotting the runway late, resulted in a pretty messy final approach, but my landings were safe and close to centreline even with that strong crosswind.

The same goes for circling to land, but this time with a localiser only approach to simulate NPA. And also going-around during downwind leg, when you really gotta be aware of where you are and where you are flying next for the missed approach procedure. It is all about situation awareness and be prepared for a go-around when unstable or lost visual. So far, so good.




==============================================


Had a meeting with the airline management this week and is glad that they're able to absorb us into the fleet but with some sacrifices on our side for a period of time. At the end of the day, I'm just relieved that I have such a caring company who think about our welfare and try their best to improve our situation, which I deeply appreciate.

When I embarked on this journey some 29 months ago, I've been yearning for the day I can truly call myself a professional aviator. The journey has thus far been long and arduous, braking and accelerating on numerous occasions. But waiting is a norm in this industry, so I can't really complain but to grind it out and make sure I train proficiently to display the level of professionalism expected of me day in day out. Expected completion is within the next three months, a final sprint before a new chapter begins.


This week also witnessed the passing of Singapore's founding father, Mr Lee Kuan Yew. He is a great loss to Singapore but his legacy will live. Singapore Airlines was set up by him and he has a vision for Changi Airport which we are witnessing today, a world class aviation hub. He can be said to be the pioneer of Singapore aviation. 

Thank you for all that you've done for us since 1955 when you stepped into parliament. Had Singapore had a different prime minister then, things would have been very different. You spirit will always live in us. May you rest in peace.



SIA pilots bidding him final farewell



No comments:

Post a Comment