Sunday, September 14, 2014

Week 70: A320 Type Rating Week 9

It's been a good long break after not having any lesson or sim session in the past week after my virgin sim session two weeks go. It was with a different instructor, whose history stems from his RSAF days in the C130. He was a more chill instructor and is more lenient on our inefficiencies than the previous one, speaking of which, gave me a wake up call.

The break I spent my time understanding n going through the procedures repeatedly. I doesn't feel good to look lost and silly while in the sim. What we went through were pretty much the same, except that we now start setting up the FMGC for our flight. It wasn't that tough considering we already had prior experience, and there wasn't any complicated flight plan that we had to input into the system.

We took off, radar vector flying around the Malaysian and Indonesian region, with our instructor showing us how to recognise the areas, which frankly speaking, didn't help much haha.. The graphics are all flat and look very different from reality, but it is good to know. Conditions given was CAVOK, and we were urged to look outside more often during such conditions rather than fixating on instruments flying.

The flying ended with a totally raw data landing, with no ILS and auto-thrust. We were taught to fly the approach using runway centre-line and the papi lights as glideslope guidance. It was really really challenging. For one, I kinda dislike the delayed reaction of the A320. It was either I moved to little or I moved too much. Other than the height and centre position, I had to take note of my speed too, which was set at the V(app) speed.

After a few tries of that and snaking all around, I got exhausted and kind of lost motivation. You know that feeling of trying so hard yet not getting it right? Exactly what I felt.

Our instructor showing us how it's done before finishing off thelesson

Midweek, spent some time at the airport going through the FCOM

Weekend, a shot taken from Pulau Ubin portraying a plane overflying the VTK VOR station at Pulau Tekong


No comments:

Post a Comment